Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Days like these...

It's been a challenging couple of days. I would have to rate the night before last as one of the worst nights of sleep I've had in a long time. For sure since I started using a c-pap about three-and-a-half years ago (not long before my youngest was born). Said youngest turned up in our bedroom sometime between 1 AM and 3 AM when I noticed him laying down on the floor by my side of the bed. He was wet (we just recently stopped using diapers at night), so I got up, found some clean underwear and jammy pants, had him use the bathroom and put him back to bed, and then couldn't fall back asleep. Until about a half-hour before I was supposed to get up.

I most certainly didn't get into the gym yesterday morning. I had to work out at home tonight after the wee ones were in bed. And it wasn't all that much either.

I did however get into the gym Sunday morning. Being Sunday, it was blissfully empty. I started the Couch to 5k app on my phone. And barely made it through half of the first day. The set up for that was a five minute warm up walking, then alternate running for one minute, walking for 90 seconds for 20 minutes total, and then a five minute cool down. My legs were just hurting too much to keep going at about the 15 minute mark. My shins were just not up to taking the abuse my heavy upper body was driving into them.

I was feeling a little discouraged at that, but my wife made a good point when I told her that later in the morning. She said that I was still lapping those on their couches. Or, in this case, those still in their beds.

Need to work on more cardio to drop some of that weight and then get back into some running. I might start lifting on the machines to make my legs and arms stronger, and some core work to get my stomach stronger as well.

"I learned that if you want to make it bad enough, no matter how bad it is, you can make it." ~ Gale Sayers
I had a coaches meeting last night for the city soccer team that I'll be leading this next month. I think for practices I'll do warm up exercises for the girls. Simple things like jumping jacks and some light jogging. They're only first graders, so they won't stay interested in that for long. They just like to kick the ball around. It'll be a good way to put in a little extra in my routine for the next four or five weeks. The season doesn't last too long, they double up the games per week so the season is done in four weeks instead of eight like the spring season.

No comments:

Post a Comment