Sunday, February 9, 2014

Keep moving forward...

Having kids affords you the opportunity sometimes to sit and watch movies that you might not get around to as an adult. For example, I'd never seen "The Incredibles" until I put it on for my kids to watch. Same with the movie today's subject is quoted from. "Meet the Robinsons" is one I'd seen previews from, and laughed myself silly at the T-Rex shown during the clip. Having seen the movie a few times now with the little ones, I caught the quote at the end of it, that I really think can be applied to a lot of things in life. And with working out, I think it can be important:

“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” 
–Walt Disney 
Don't look at your past failures as a reason for giving up, or not trying. Learn from the mistakes, and keep going. Try new things. There's not any one thing that works for everybody, and what works for a lot of other people might not work for you. Your search could be a long one to find that niche that suddenly breaks down the barriers for you.

For my wife, it was getting into roller derby. Sure, she could be doing more skating, cardio during the week like she wants to do, but there's at least one, often two, days a week where she's out there killing herself on the track to get better, stronger, tougher.

You have to admire that.

There aren't a lot of people that would go out there and just get wrecked, bruised, and smacked around on purpose for the sake of a workout. Sure, they're all a little crazy, but better to be crazy than lazy.

Weigh-in: 294.2 (+0.6)

Bench press - 10 x 105 lbs x 2 (up 5 pounds)
Arm curl - 10 x 50 lbs x 2  (up 5 pounds)
Lat pulls  - 10 x 90 lbs x 2
Shoulder press - 10 x 30 lbs x 2
Arm extension -  10 x 70 lbs x 2

Another rough Sunday (seriously, I should keep my drinking to Friday nights, I don't do anything on Saturday mornings); but again, I was here, I worked, and I even increased the weight in a couple of lifts. I also did a quick set with the dumbbells. I don't know what the exercise is called, but I took the 10 lbs and lifted them straight out to the sides to kill my shoulders just a little more.

So, we'll see tomorrow if I have a workout partner. A guy I know at work was heading out at the same time as I was on Thursday and we walked through the gym to get to the same section of the parking lot where we were both parked. And the conversation turned to working out there. I mentioned that I'd started lifting last month and he said that he should be getting in there more; so we kind of agreed to work out together in the mornings we work the same day. We'll see if he shows. :) Doesn't matter to me. I'll be there around 4 AM like I am every Monday. Leg day!!!

Let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment